Paul Shaffer's band are releasing a new album and the guests are insane
by Jeremy Mersereau
January 9, 2017
The Canadian late-night hero is unleashing a new album and tour.
For decades, Paul Shaffer and his group of ace late-night musicians backed up David Letterman, from the NBC Late Night era all the way through to his retirement in 2014. Not many bands can say they’ve kept it together through incidents like Jerry Lawler fighting Andy Kaufman, or Crispin Glover losing his mind, but the World’s Most Dangerous Band (as they were officially christened in 1988) can, and now they’re releasing a new album and headed out on a North American tour.
Paul Shaffer & The World’s Most Dangerous Band is out March 17th, and features 12 tried-and-true late night jams, with a few eclectic special guests to help out. As per Shaffer, “the wonderful friends, old and new, who guested on vocals were a dream come true for us. They poured their hearts and souls into our music, and we thank them profusely.” About those guests: they include Shaggy, Bill Murray, Darius Rucker, and Jenny Lewis. Now that would be a stacked episode of Late Show, and probably makes for a pretty diverse musical experience. It’s not every album that can boast the powerhouse duo of both Hootie himself and Shaggy, but this one can.
The Most Dangerous Band are headed out on tour in April, so get your fix of Shaffer and co. while you can. Hopefully there will be some Oberheim OB-X heroics from Shaffer, just like in 1982.
Paul Shaffer & The World’s Most Dangerous Band tracklist:
1. Cast Your Fate To The Wind (featuring Shaggy)
2. Why Can’t We Live Together (featuring Darius Rucker)
3. Sorrow (featuring Jenny Lewis)
4. Yeh Yeh
5. Win Your Love For Me (featuring Dion)
6. Happy Street (featuring Bill Murray)
7. Some Kind Of Wonderful (featuring Felicia Collins)
8. Rhythm (featuring Leo Napier)
9. I Don’t Need No Doctor (featuring Valerie Simpson & Felicia Collins) Enjoy The Ride (featuring Will Lee)
10. Just Because